It’s amazing how fear impacts us. Fear of having that difficult conversation, fear to try something new and social anxiety are just a few common examples. For many of us, these fears stop us dead in our tracks preventing us from a breakthrough opportunity!
When fear sensations rise up and communicate to us, “Oh oh, this feels awkward.” or “Oh oh, this feels uncomfortable”, we’re being gifted a golden opportunity to expand and evolve. So what’s the best way to do this? MAKE A PLAN!
I used to be afraid of dancing. Yes, I was that guy at the wedding, uncomfortably sitting at the table, to scared to get up and move. I’d watch the faces of everyone out dancing and see how much fun they were having. But for no known reason, I was scared.
So I made a plan to take dance lessons and overcome my fear of dancing. I didn’t just walk in one day and begin. I made a plan that felt safe for me. Here it is…
1. online research of local dance studios (choose the one I feel most connected to).
2. Drive by and pick up fliers for classes. Talk with anyone there about the class format etc.
3. Sign up
4. go to class
By having a plan the stress of the situation was decreased. It was still a little scary walking into that first class. But I did it. My plan allowed me to step into that class and now dancing is something I love to do!
THIS MONTHS EXERCISE:
1. Choose that difficult conversation or fearful activity that you’ve been ignoring or putting off.
2. Make a 3-5 step plan for success.
3. Spend time looking at the painting above and read the poem. Allow the powerful and courageous energy of the painting support your process.
4. Begin your plan. 🙂